Web Resources about Grammar
Yesterday, an astute student asked me about reputable websites that explain English grammar. Of the three Use of English classes, about a dozen students have chosen to do research the web for sources of grammar exercises and explanations. I am grateful for their help in finding these websites. When evaluating the websites, I looked for those that were appropriate for advanced English language students. I further divided them into categories of reliable explantions, challenging and accurate exercises, and exercises that resemble the First Certificate English exams.
This is a source that describes the parts of speech, parsing, and syntax:
Nesbitt, M. L. (1885). Grammar-Land or Grammar in fun for the children of Schoolroomshire. New York: Holt. https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/66712/pg66712-images.html
Here is a source for learning about the parts of speech and syntax. Use of English 1 students will need to sign up for UE Spring 2022 on Khan Academy to receive credit for the work they complete there: https://www.khanacademy.org/join/3J8PSSMW.
Here are some sources for learning phrasal verbs and grammar patterns at Memrise (If you haven't already, you'll need to register on Memrise; it's free). I've set up a Use of English Group, but you'll need to send your email so that I can invite you.
Phrasal Verbs from ETEAL website
It's also on Memrise. I see that four students have already begun to memorize the phrasal verbs.
Reliable explanations & Challenging Exercises & Test Preparation
ESL Lounge. https://www.esl-lounge.com/student//
Reliable explanations & Challenging Exercises
British Council.
English Grammar (2021). https://www.englishgrammar.org
GrammarBank.com (2021). https://www.grammarbank.com/
This website also has some good exercises for reading practice.
University College of London (1998). The Internet of English Grammar. https://www.ucl.ac.uk/internet-grammar/home.htm
Explanations Only
Cambridge Dictionary (2021) Using English https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/using-english
Challenging exercises
English Grammar. http://www.english-grammar.at/index.htm
Oxford University Press. https://www.oxfordenglishtesting.com/showContent.aspx?id=3936&WT.ac=ww-oxford-digital-grammar-builder (practice test)
Perfect English Grammar https://www.perfect-english-grammar.com

Comments
Post a Comment